This file photo taken and
released by North Korea's
official Korean Central News
Agency (KCNA) on March 29, 2013
shows, according to KCNA, North
Korean leader Kim Jong-Un
discussing the strike plan with
North Korean officers during an
urgent operation meeting at the
Supreme Command in an
undisclosed location. AFP
Turnover in 2012 was reported at $469.5
million, with accumulated turnover since
2004 standing at $1.98 billion.
South Korean President Park Geun-Hye said
the North's action was "very disappointing"
and displayed a total disregard for
investment norms that would return to haunt
Pyongyang in the future.
"If North Korea, under the full eyes of the
international community, breaches
international rules and promises like this,
then there will be no country or company
which will invest in North Korea," Park
Pyongyang has blocked South Korean access to
Kaesong since Wednesday, forcing 13 South
Korean firms to halt production.
Yu Chang-Geun, vice president of the
association representing the South's
companies, said operations would have to be
normalised swiftly to prevent permanent
"All firms have reached their limit. If
things go on like this, all of us will face
bankruptcy," Yu said.
Announcing the suspension of operations, Kim
Yang-Gon said Kaesong's future was entirely
dependent on "the attitude of the South
The North has indicated that South Korean
media reports that it would never dare close
Kaesong had affronted Pyongyang's "dignity".
It also took particular exception to
comments by the South's defence minister
last week that Seoul had a "military"
contingency plan to ensure the safety of its
citizens in Kaesong.
More than 300 South Koreans have left
Kaesong and returned to the South since
North Korea banned access last week.
Of the 475 remaining, the Unification
Ministry said 77 had signed up to leave on
Tuesday. – AFP