Public Relations depends on your SKILL in Communication:
Is anybody listening? Do they believe what you say? Do they
respect and like you and your organization? In other
words.... is your message getting across?
Tips: To communicate you must be courteous!
1) 1.1 PROMPT-in keeping appointments 1.2 In calling back
1.3 In the telephone 1.4. In answering letters.
2) Respect the rights of others by going
2.1 Think how you would feel if someone bypassed YOU!
3) Follow through to completion and Acknowledge help from
others (Example say: thanks for your help!)
4) Be considerate of the Time of OTHERS
Finally to communicate you must BE KIND and FRIENDLY so
people will like you and BELIEVE what you say!
Here are ways to develop FRIENDLINESSl
1. BE YOURSELF...Be natural. Don't put on airs... but put
yourself in their SHOES to understand THEM.
2. LISTEN A LOT... A good listener is a friend indeed. But
learn to direct the conversation along constructive line.
Try not to be negative.
3. GIVE PRAISE....look for things to praise in others....BUT
...be sincere about it.
4.SMILE A LOT...Get some FUN out of your work...Develop your
sense of HUMOUR. BUT....don't make fun of others.
SO, ONE WAY IS TO TEST YOURSELF:
Can you say 'NO' to people and still leave a FRIENDLY
To communicate you must BE CLEAR! So people can UNDERSTAND
For Example when you write a MEMO- always check these 4
1. It is Accurate? Have you covered all the facts?
2. Does it IDENTIFY? Who are you? What is your title?
3. It is BRIEF? Have you got rid of access words?
4. It is SIMPLE? Have you used words that everyone
So....take time to be clear!
So ...make COURTESY -CLARITY and KINDNESS BASIC PARTS OF
YOUR PUBLIC RELATIONS whether your COMMUNICATIONS are:
1. WRITTEN-letter, memos, reports, releases & directives.
2. SPOKEN- telephone, speeches, small groups or face to
3. or Unwritten and Unspoken- Just the way YOU LOOK
- Dress or uniform
- Actions, habits or manners
Remember that EVERY PERSON ....is an INDIVIDUAL in his own
right. Is entitled to RESPECT for his DIGNITY....Has a right
to Express his own ATTITUDES and OPINIONS.....Has a right to
make his OWN DECISIONS.
YOUR JOB IS TO IDENTIFY YOUR MESSAGE WITH HIS PURPOSES. That
is the key to COMMUNICATIONS.
(Example: Don't talk too long. Don't interrupt when other's
and that The 'PUBLIC' is made up of INDIVIDUALS:
Who Like: 1. a job well done 2. people who are polite 3. a
Who Dislike 1. a job poorly done 2. people who are rude 3. a
The 'PUBLIC' (Like INDIVIDUAL) is SENSITIVE...it can change
its ATTITUDE quickly!
Jobs that women do?
Grave digging is normally a job that men do. A woman
won the job of grave-digger at a cemetery in Italy
after all ten men candidates failed the practical
test-exhuming a body- by fainting (Guardian, 30
August 1997, p.5). Until recently women were not
allowed to work on the front line in the army. While
they are still barred from combat jobs they will now
be allowed in the artillery.
Currently only 47 percent of army jobs are open to
women and only 7,000 of the 109,000 jobs are taken
by women. Yet research from US has shown that women
can make better fighters than men and women are
twice as likely their male colleagues to fire at the
enemy. Female terrorists are far more dangerous and
deadly as they are more likely to kill bystanders
without remorse. (The Scotsman, 14 November 1997,
If none endeavour there would be an end to